DATA SCIENCE vs BIG DATA vs CLOUD COMPUTING
Understanding and demystifying the key difference
While it seems that these three concepts (Data science, Big data, and Cloud computing) are similar, but they are entirely different from their own perspectives. Though they are intertwined in the whole activity and together make an outstanding approach towards gaining profits in businesses and other sectors.
Even though people get confused and couldn’t differ between them. So, to refresh your understanding and concepts we shall be discussing
- The foremost difference in Data Science, Big data, and Cloud computing.
- Roles and authority handled by each of them.
- The required skill sets to become a Data scientist, Big data professional and Cloud computing engineer.
- An example of YouTube and Instagram for a better understanding of these concepts and their uses.
- And at last, what salaries do they get according to their profession and expertise.
1. What is the principle difference between them?
- Data science is a union of distinct fields like statistics, mathematics, machine learning, programming and some more additional concepts to acknowledge and study business events with regard to data.
- Whereas Big data refers to the enormous quantity of data from different origins and distinct formats like audio files, video files, text files, and many more.
- On the other hand Cloud computing is the request call shipment of IT facilities over the internet with pay as you go pricing.
Some other key differences are
- It also includes several other means to arrive at a solution in order to solve the issues.
- In addition to that, it also has an ingenious way of recording data that is not captured before.
- It involves inspecting, cleaning, developing, and analyzing the data.
- It also has the capability to focus on the objectives differently.
- Conventional data altering systems are unable to deal with a large amount of unstructured data i.e., emails, blogs, content, digital images, social networks, etc.
- It is expressed in terms of 5 v’s i.e., volume, variety, veracity, velocity, and volume.
- Rather than purchasing, owning, keeping, and maintaining physical data centers and servers you can use technology services such as computing powers, storage, and databases on and as needed bases on a cloud provider.
2. Roles and authority handled by :
By a data scientist
- S/he carries out analysis to discover an accurate and deeper understanding of data. They use various advanced machine learning algorithms to recognize and predict a particular event in the future by making use of past patterns with the help of artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms.
- They scrutinize and explore the data from numerous data sets and also discover questions that count on value to the commerce market.
- They also call for finding correlations and some masked patterns from data.
By a Big-data professional
- They architect the dispersive system for all the accumulated data and then come up with reliability, scalability and concurrency.
- They build large-scale data processing systems to store and process huge numbers of unstructured data using numerous big data tools like Spark, Cassandra, and many more, meanwhile ensuring your network connectivity is up and running.
By a cloud computing engineer
- Cloud Computing engineers are IT professionals who are in charge of technological features of cloud computing Like design planning, maintenance, and support
- There are many choices within cloud computing engineering according to one’s expertise.
3. The required skill set to become a Data scientist, Big data professional and Cloud computing engineer
Data scientist required skills
- Numerical and analytical expertise
- Data mining pursuit to predict future events
- Correlation technique
- Deep learning principles
- Throughout knowledge of programming concepts
- SQL/ database coding
- SAS/R coding
Big data professional required skill set
- Master of big data tools like a Hadoop, Spark, Hive.
- Should be able to work with huge unstructured data
- Should be known to general-purpose programming
- SQL / database coding
- Familiarity with MATLAB
- Imagination, creativity, and originality
- Business skills and,
- Data visualization
Cloud computing engineer skill set
- Understanding and depth of knowledge of cloud service providers
- Knowledge of online storage
- Virtualization software
- Web Services and API
- Security and disaster recovery
- Containers and,
- Programming skills
4. An example of YouTube and Instagram to understand the role of Big data professional, Data scientist and Cloud computing engineer
On YouTube, 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute and almost 5 billion videos are watched every day, due to which a huge amount of unstructured data is produced by YouTube. This data needs to be processed but traditional data processing systems fail to process such a huge amount of unstructured data.
And that’s where Big data professionals play a role. Big data professionals create an environment using various big data tools to process the large amount of unstructured YouTube data which is followed by many steps.
Now let’s discuss what role does a data scientist play:-
A data scientist optimizes YouTube watching experience on user behavior such as how a user interacts with YouTube services like rebuffering, skipping, watch time, etc.
Data scientists use this information or data to predict the future even that you see on your YouTube account in the form of recommendations and feed.
So, the algorithms which run in real-time or in near real-time help to provide the best User experience.
understanding Cloud Computing with the help of Instagram. Instagram is a social networking platform that allows us to store numerous photos, information, and numerous TVs and videos on an online server which can be accessed from any device.
So a Cloud Computing engineer performs some of the main technical duties like maintaining the server, designing cloud Software, and system to implement it.
5. What salaries do they get according to their expertise?
Shifting towards the modern world and technology has developed and advanced many features for best user experience which stores great potential and opportunities for upcoming freshers with promising pay.
The pay for some professionals have been listed below:
- Cloud architect : $118,000 /yr
- Cyber security expert : $110,000 /yr
- Data scientist : $130,000 /yr
- Experienced Data scientist: $1,480,000/yr (one of the highest pay in IT industry)
- Big data professional : $98,000 /yr
- Big data developer : $95,000 /yr
Technology has great potential within itself with great upcoming opportunities under the umbrella. So, to benefit the best out of it choose the right one according to your expertise.